Hot Chocolate Bombs (6 servings)
This hot chocolate bomb recipe makes spheres of chocolate filled with cocoa powder and mini marshmallows. These “bombs” are placed in a mug, with warm milk poured over the top. The end product is an incredibly soothing and pleasant experience…there’s just something so satisfying about watching that chocolate melt in a rich, creamy mug of hot cocoa.
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Food thermometer
- Spherical molds (2.5 inches diameter)
- Microwave-safe bowl
- 12 ounces chocolate (semi-sweet)
- 2 packets instant cocoa mix
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 6 cups hot milk
- Chop 24 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate as finely as you can with a knife.
- Microwave chocolate for 15 seconds in a microwave-safe bowl and stir. Take the temperature of your chocolate to make sure it’s not above 90ºF.
- Repeat this process 2-5 more times in 15-second increments until chocolate is almost melted. Do not let your chocolate get above 90ºF. Continue stirring until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Add a heaping tablespoon of melted chocolate into your molds. Spread using the back of a teaspoon until each sphere is completely covered. Place the chocolate mold into the fridge to set up for five minutes.
- Repeat step 5 until about a 3 mm “wall” is made. Freeze for 7 minutes.
- With the mold inverted, gently press on the top of each sphere to release onto the baking sheet.
- Fill each sphere with 2 tablespoons of hot chocolate mix and 2 tablespoons of marshmallows.
- Warm a plate or bowl in the microwave. Place the bottom of an empty sphere on the plate to lightly melt chocolate. Finally, place the melted chocolate edge on the filled half to seal. Try to handle chocolate as little as possible.
- To fully set, freeze for 30 minutes or refrigerate for 1 hour. Store at room temperature until ready to serve.
How to make the chocolate bombs
- Place the bomb in the bottom of a mug. Pour one cup of hot milk over the top of the bomb to melt the chocolate. When the chocolate is completely melted, stir to mix.